Saturday, September 5, 2009

Savory Peach Phyllo Pockets

Preface: I am not a baker. You want baking, look up Katelyn. (It's probably a safe bet that nearly every non-gluten-free baked item on here, save Annalise's muffins, is gonna be based on glorious phyllo dough). But I wanted to bring something desserty to a friend's barbecue this afternoon, so.... yes, I got the phyllo dough out of the freezer, with the thought of using up some peaches.

These little guys turned out oozy and full of peachy goodness, but not as sweet as your usual peach-pie-like concoction. They'd be good with cottage cheese or greek yogurt on the side, or perhaps some ricotta baked in, too.

Filling:
1. Sautee 3/4 cup of finely chopped shallots* in a little olive oil until translucent. Add 1 Tbsp chopped ginger (if fresh - 2 Tbsp if it's the chopped-in-a-jar kind, which is what I used).

2. Add about 2 tsp each of cumin, coriander, and cinnamon, and 1 tsp of white pepper, plus salt to taste. Then add about a cup of brown sugar and a little water so it doesn't burn. Once the sugar is melted and everything's blended, pour over 6-8 chopped peaches. Taste to see how the spice balance is, as my quantities are really just wild guesses.

3. Make phyllo cups in cupcake pans. I ended up using one sheet of dough, torn into eighths, for each cup. Fill each with filling and pinch shut - I got 18 "pockets." Bake at 375 for 45 minutes.

*I actually used freeze-dried shallots, which are milder than fresh, and I used about a cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment