Sunday, September 20, 2009

Arugula Salad with Cantaloupe

This is a full-on rip-off of a salad I had for lunch at Gaia Bistro in Denver earlier today (yesterday? I'm posting dorkily late here!), but it was sooo good I want to be sure not to forget to make it sometime.

Salad:
Arugula, diced cantaloupe, mild goat cheese, thinly sliced red onion, chopped artichoke hearts

Vinaigrette:
A slightly salty, light-on-the-vinegar honey balsamic.

I think this would be good with some pepitas thrown in. (But then, I think that about most salads.) I also think I'll use white balsamic or maybe champagne vinegar in the vinaigrette when I do it. Ordinarily I don't much like red onion, but it was an awesome contrast to the cantaloupe. Least important ingredient: the artichokes.

UPDATE (9/20/09):
I made this for my book club tonight with the following variations, to positive reviews:

Salad:
Watercress, red leaf lettuce, diced cantaloupe, crumbled goat cheese, dehydrated onions

Vinaigrette:
sea salt, white balsamic, olive oil

Keep the dressing minimal as the onions and goat cheese are already a strong flavor counterpoint to the sweet cantaloupe and spicy watercress.

No comments:

Post a Comment