Monday, September 7, 2009

Orange-Sriracha Stir Fry with Beets and Yu Choy


At the farmer's market yesterday I became attracted to some yellow-flowered greens sold by a Hmong family at their booth. They were labeled "Yu Choy" and tasted bitter, similar to mustard greens. (Turns out they're related, and yu choy is none other than rapeseed). I took a bunch home and decided I'd stirfry them alongside some beets - bitter greens + sweet, mellow roots - in a spicy, citrusy sauce.

1. I started by making the stir-fry sauce, since things happen so quickly once you throw vegetables on a wok:

2 TBSP Sriracha sauce
juice of 2 oranges
honey
red wine vinegar

2. Heated a tablespoon of sesame oil in the wok until nearly smoking, then tossed in:

2 large raw beets, sliced and cut into sticks
My bundle of yu choy, washed by soaking and chopped in half
Some diced fresh green beans
A can of rinsed chickpeas
several teaspoons each chopped garlic and ginger
the sauce

Don't let things get soft - turn off the heat as soon as the greens and beets darken a little in color, but while they're still crunchy.

3. Served over short-grained black rice, drizzled with a mixture of 1/2 coconut milk and 1/2 plain yogurt to balance out the heat. (The quantity of sriracha here would not be overwhelmingly hot for a lot of you, I'm sure, but I'm faint of heart. It made my nose run!)

No comments:

Post a Comment