Saturday, September 5, 2009

Olive Oil Muffins Adapted to be Nut and Gluten Free

After Annalise posted the olive oil muffin recipe from Giada de Laurentis at the Food Network this morning, I decided to make a batch I could eat, one that someone with a nut allergy could also eat. I've posted the new recipe because I changed quantities and added a few additional ingredients to support the new flours and the ommission of almonds.

The result is a subtly fragrant but sturdy muffin, a meant-to-be companion to butter and a cup of afternoon tea. Without the almonds, the powdered sugar just didn't seem right, so I left them bare.


Ingredients

1 3/4 cups all-purpose gluten free flour*
1/4 cup of coconut flour
3/4 tsp xantham gum, plus another additional teensy pinch
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar
3 large eggs
1/4 cup applesauce
Zest of one whole lemon
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 big squeeze of fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons half and half
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Blend eggs, applesauce, zest, extra lemon juice, and brown sugar until fluffy. Slowly add in oil, vinegar, and half and half. Combine the remaining dry ingredients, and then mix into batter. Pour into lined muffin tins until brim and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Makes 12 large muffins.


*A quick note on the gluten free all-purpose flour. I used Bob's Red Mill, which needs 3/4 tsp. xantham gum to every 1 cup. I now prefer the new Whole Foods brand gluten free flour, which doesn't required added xantham gum or guar gum. However, my wallet does not prefer that type, and Bob's Red Mill was on hand. And finally, I've found coconut flour in small quantities really helps any gluten-free baked good that needs to be fluffy or rise.

** A note on other changes. I always prefer brown sugar in baking, but you could stick to the original recipe. 4 eggs sounded like a lot, so I used 3 and added 1/4 cup of applesauce. The half and half substitution was only due to my lack of whole milk, so again you could return to the original recipe there...or use heavy cream...

1 comment:

  1. Katelyn is much better at describing food than I am. YUM. :)

    ReplyDelete