Thursday, January 7, 2010

Pillowy Crack


Er...crackers. That's right, pillowy gluten free crackers made using no expensive flours. Angela at ohsheglows.com calls these vegan chewy crackers. I've made a few adjustments, so here's my version of her recipe.

Pour 3/4 cup uncooked rice and 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa into a rice cooker or pot, and cook as normal. In the meantime, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

When rice and quinoa are finished, remove and cool for a bit. Then, process in a food processor or using your IMMERSION BLENDER. I have to admit, it is heavy going with the IMMERSION BLENDER but I just asked my arms to channel Michelle Obama's and they got the job done.

Once processed so it feels doughy, mix in:
4 T ground flaxseeds
2 T chia seeds
1/4 cup of a chia-water paste (Angela called for 1 t tahini, which I didn't have)
1 T water
1 T minced garlic (or more to taste)
2 T pepper (or more to taste)
1 t salt

Roll dough until flat on a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. I greased the pan, and these babies were almost unflippable, unstickable, so don't skip the p-paper. Cut the dough into desired cracker size and shape with a sharp knife so you at least have some separation once baked.

Bake until crispy. I flipped after fifteen minutes, then again after another ten. These took me a long time and I probably didn't get them crisp enough, so I'd recommend rolling your dough pretty thin! Separate along knife lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment