Monday, January 25, 2010

Parmesan Penne with Cabbage and Broccoli

I don't like to mix talk of food and finances, but in an unending quest--failure?-- to save money, I'm trying to buy produce that will bulk up our meals and keep us veggified. Cabbage was this week's bulky green of choice, and at 99 cents a head it really was a bargain.

What I really want to do is stuff it as Olga does here, but I am not so good at rolling things. Or stuffing things. Or really anything that requires precision or patience. So I started instead with a simple brown rice penne tossed with very thinly sliced (lengthwise) cabbage, broccoli florets, and broccoli stalks sauteed generously with butter, shallots, garlic, salt, and pepper. To finish, I tossed it with a bit more olive oil (enough to be coated) and plenty of grated parmesan. Although P was skeptical of cabbage in pasta, he was happy with the end result. Just don't overdo the cabbage -- you want it to bulk but not dominate.

Except for the parmesan, this one is really a budget saver. But don't skip the parmesan, or it won't be a palate pleaser!

No comments:

Post a Comment