Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Simple Chicken and Tomatoes

I found this recipe on Annie's Eats near the beginning of the year, and it has rapidly become my staple, go-to recipe when I want a meal without too much fuss.  With tomato season approaching, I thought I'd post it, if anything to give our mother another use for all the fresh tomatoes she'll be growing soon.

Because I've made this so often, I am able to make variations on it easily and quickly, some of which I have maintained and will include in this recipe.  The main variation is to reduce the portion size, this is the amount I typically make for just myself, and often save half for later.  I also replaced butter with olive oil, but it's delicious both ways.



1 chicken breast
A handful of cherry tomatoes, (or 2 normal-size tomatoes in halves)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbs. Oregano
1 Tbs. Paprika
1 Tbs. garlic
1/3 cup chicken broth or white wine
Flour
Salt and Pepper

While preparing the chicken and tomatoes, also prepare 1 cup rice.

Mix together olive oil (or butter) with oregano, paprika, and garlic, or other spices if desired.  Heat a frying pan with 1/4 of the olive oil mixture.  Slice chicken into strips, dredge each piece in flour, add salt and pepper to taste. Place chicken in frying pan, add more of olive oil mixture.  Cook until finished, about 8 minutes total.  Remove chicken from pan, set aside and cover to keep warm.  Add remaining olive oil mixture to pan and heat.  Add tomatoes, cook until they begin to char and burst.  Squeeze tomatoes for extra juice, add chicken broth.  Remove once broth is warmed and pour tomatoes and sauce over chicken and rice.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment