Thursday, July 22, 2010

Asparagus Quiche


This post is mostly just to say: HEY I MADE A QUICHE!

Unlike my intrepid gf-flour-throwing sibling, I am kinda terrified of baking. It's just such a precision activity, and I'm more of a "little this, little that" kinda gal. If I get distracted and go start rearranging furniture or something between steps 3 and 4 of a recipe, I like it to be waiting forgivingly when I wander back, all happy to see me, not preparing to throw a big nondelicious hissy fit.

But....... ahem.... I MADE A QUICHE! Two cute individual quiches, actually!

I used Deb's flawlessly simple crust, but although I parbaked it as she instructs, I didn't even try to remove it from my little corningware dishes to make freestanding quiches. I think my dishes were 4-inch rounds, and her dough recipe made more than enough to make the 2 crusts.

For filling, I made something similar to her recipe but very much simplified. I beat 3 eggs with 1.5 cups 2% milk, and added a good dose of herbs plus some thinly sliced onions & mushrooms and leftover asparagus, sauteed in butter and (of all things) vermouth, the only workable alcohol I had on hand. Poured the filling almost to the top of each crust and covered it with sharp white cheddar, baked half an hour, and that was that! It was shockingly good. Possibly the best quiche I've ever had, to be forthright.

(You'll notice Katelyn's spinach and pepita salad on the side, too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment