Sunday, January 13, 2013

Almond-Meal Tortilla Chips

I am giving up all kinds of foods this month (trying out a form of paleo eating), and I expected the hardest to be sugar and cheese.  Not so, actually - what I am missing like the dickens are tortilla chips, to dip in greek yogurt, salsa, guacamole.... but this recipe completely fills that hole, and they're so yummy I think I will bring some with me if for some reason I should ever attend a Super Bowl party.  



I started with this recipe but found I needed more eggwhite and (perhaps as a result) a lot more baking time - here's what I did exactly:

Mix together 1 cup almond meal (this only made 25 chips, so it might be wise to double everything), 2 eggwhites, 1/2 tsp each of cayenne, cumin, coriander, and orange peel (or whatever other spices you like), 1 TB of dried "Just Onions," and 1 tsp salt, until they cohere into a "dough." 

Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Plunk your dough on there (split in 2 if you doubled the recipe), cover with more parchment, and roll out as thin as you can. I didn't get mine quite to the edges of the sheet, and I think I could've gone a little thinner, so aim for the edges.  

Remove the top sheet of parchment, and score the dough into a grid with chip-sized squares with a wettened knife.  Be gentle so you don't "drag" hunks of dough along with the knife blade and ruin your chips.  

Then just put the sheet into a 350-degree oven and bake, removing chips that are done with a spatula.  My "edge" chips were done after about 15 minutes and center ones, more like 20, but this will depend a lot on thickness, so just watch for them to begin to brown.  

No comments:

Post a Comment