Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Breakfast Burrito

 There's something about breakfast burritos that feel like they should be eaten on a chilled but sunny day, with a hot mug of black coffee on the side. The combined warming force of salsa in your belly and sunshine on your face is restorative from the inside out. That's the way I've been eating them lately, almost daily, and while I can't share my sunny patio with those of you in colder climes, I can share this recipe. 



I consume a lot of food media, and watched an Instagram Live from chef Molly Baz that outlined this recipe. I can't find a written version anywhere, and I keep trying to share it but coming across the (reasonable) road block that not everyone enjoys watching a 25 minute video of someone making food as much as I. So I figured I'd write it down here for easy sharing, and include my own personal tweaks. She does an egg technique called "marbling" that is like a lazy scramble, which I try to describe to the best of my ability.  If you want to watch the video for fun or technique, you can find it here

One note: I've written a lot of ingredient options because I'm a firm believer that we do each know what we like.  The best way to replace an ingredient you don't like when cooking (baking is more complicated) is to figure out what purpose it's serving in a dish and find an ingredient that could fit that purpose. Is it salt?  acid? creamy? For example, Molly Baz used classic pickles in her burrito, which aren't my jam, so I replace w pickled jalapenos and serve my hot sauce on the side.  Pick and choose what you like in a breakfast burrito, and try this method to make them! 

For one burrito, you'll need:

Large Flour Tortilla

Butter

Salt and Pepper

A couple spoonfuls of something creamy, i.e. mayo, sour cream, greek yogurt

1 clove of garlic

2 eggs

Cheese (optional), I've been using a sharp cheddar but do as you like

Thinly sliced potato (Molly does slices of tomato instead, this is my personal sub) - or you could do another vegetable

Something pickled/acidic - I use pickled jalapenos, you could do pickles or thin slices of quick pickled red onion. If you don't like any of those, try adding a squeeze of lime or lemon your creamy element

Tender herbs - I've used dill and cilantro or a mix

Hot Sauce or Salsa

Method:

First, finely dice your garlic and stir into your "something creamy". The longer it sits, the more garlicky it will be.  If you're using potatoes, heat some butter or oil in a frying pan, season with salt and pepper and cook until they're golden brown. Set aside and turn off heat from pan so it cools a little. Set your tortilla on a plate and spread the garlicky sauce in a big circle, leaving an inch or two around the sides of your tortilla for wrapping. 

Heat a little butter in your frying pan for the eggs.  You want it hot but not ripping hot, since we're not frying these eggs and want to cook them gently.  If the butter is really sizzling, turn it down a bit. Gently crack your eggs directly into the pan. Without breaking the yolk, use a spatula to start moving the whites around the pan as they cook.  Season with salt and pepper. When the whites are barely set, break the yolks and continue to move the eggs around the pan as they cook.  Turn off heat as soon as yolks are just set.

In the third of the tortilla closest to you, create a horizontal line with your ingredients as you layer them. Continue to leave an inch or two or tortilla bare.  Layer cheese, potatoes (or tomatoes), eggs, pickled jalapenos, and herbs. Fold the sides of the tortilla in, then begin to roll tortilla from the bottom up to the top, keeping ingredients in a compact pile.  Let burrito sit on the seam for a minute to let it press together. 

Heat a little more butter or oil in your pan.  Toast burrito seam side down until a deep golden brown.  Flip and toast on opposite side.  Enjoy with hot sauce or salsa and know the sunshine will come back if you're missing it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment