Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Chicken Sausage Hatch Chile Soup

Yet another recipe spurred on by my excitement for a fall-esque week in the desert.  We are in a week of fierce thunderstorms, and when I got home tonight I couldn't resist making a soup from whatever things I had in my fridge.  Many of these items were bound for other cooking projects, and I genuinely get so excited when I can completely riff a recipe and re-purpose what's left in my vegetable drawer. I also keep homemade veggie stock in my freezer, exactly for when soup season comes around and I'm feeling a sudden desire.  I got my chicken sausage from my deli counter, stick to a basic chicken sausage or try to stay in the same flavor profile. With the last of the corn that's sticking around from August, and the hatch chiles that are starting to be roasted at Arizona farmer's markets, this felt like the perfect transition into soup season.

Olive Oil
1/2 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 roasted hatch green chiles, seeds removed
2-3 carrots, sliced into rounds
2 links green chile onion chicken sausage, sliced
1 ear's worth of corn kernels (removed from cob)
Smoked Paprika
Cumin
Salt
Black Pepper
Coriander
32 oz veggie or chicken broth (water will do just fine)
2/3 cup rice
Lime Juice
Greek Yogurt

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Once shimmering, add sliced onions and garlic, simmer until fragrant, 2-3 minutes.  Add diced green chiles, then carrots.  Stir to coat with oil, and continue to saute for a few minutes.  Add chicken and allow to begin to brown.  Add corn kernels and spices, to taste.  Stir so veggies and meat are well coated with spices.  Add broth or water.  Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium low.  Add rice (rinse first if brown rice) and allow to simmer until rice is soft, about 15-20 minutes. Add water or broth as needed if rice is soaking up too much liquid. Top with a squeeze of lime juice or dollop of greek yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment