Monday, August 29, 2016

Thai Peanut Curry with Salmon and Veggies

Tonight I wanted to order Thai takeout, but couldn't order Thai takeout, so I responsibly made this at home instead and was in fact infinitely more pleased than I would have been with takeout.  I recommend serving this over coconut rice - cook rice as you normally would, but replace half the water with coconut milk (and make sure to stir the coconut milk well before adding).  For this recipe, I'd also stir some chopped fresh cilantro in the rice when it was done cooking. I was inspired by a few recipes, but mostly took a few concepts and ran with them.  This is a single-lady portion, so double/triple/quadruple etc. as needed.

Salmon:
1 salmon fillet (I use frozen, because that's the stage of life we're in here)
Spices to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Lay salmon on tinfoil and rub salmon with paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, turmeric, curry powder and ginger. Place in tin foil and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap in foil and place in a baking dish.  Bake for 10-12 minutes if unfrozen, roughly 30 if frozen - until it flakes easily with a fork.

Peanut Sauce:
1/4 of a yellow onion
2 garlic cloves
2 T red curry paste
1/2 can coconut milk
2 T honey
1 T sesame oil
2 giant spoonfuls of peanut butter (sorry, I am trying to have exact measurements here, but sometimes it's hard!)
Chopped peanuts (for garnish!
Chopped cilantro (for garnish!)

Dice onion and garlic and sauté for five minute in some olive oil over medium heat. Add red curry paste, cook two minutes longer and mix curry paste well with onion. Add coconut milk, stir well and bring to a light simmer. Stir in honey, sesame oil, and peanut butter, simmer until it thickens into a nice sauce. Keep sauce on low heat until other recipe elements are ready.

Veggies:

I chopped up carrot, bell pepper and cauliflower and sautéed them in another frying pan in some olive oil.  I put in the carrots first to allow them to soften, then the cauliflower, and the bell pepper last. I added some of the spices that I used on the salmon (curry powder, paprika, etc.) and let them char a bit in the pan.

Serve salmon and veggies over rice, top with peanut sauce.  Garnish with cilantro and chopped peanuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment