We're big fans of cheese around these parts, especially when it's melting between slices of toasty, buttered bread. Here's an October edition of what P and I like to call Fancy Grilled Cheese aka Grilled Cheese With Extras Like Mustard and Caramelized Onions and All Other Good Things.
Grilled Cheese with White Cheddar, Caramelized Onions and Butternut Squash
I used leftover roasted butternut squash here. If you're starting from the beginning, well, turn your oven to 425 or so and get to roasting. Or, to make it easier, just microwave the squash. I'm skeptical too, except that's how our Ma does it and it always works. Stab it with a fork, microwave for between 7-10 minutes or until that cute little squash is falling in on itself.
Once that's taken care of, assemble your grilled cheese components.
Bread (gluten-free if you need)
Sharp white cheddar cheese or gruyere, lots, thinly sliced
Yellow onion, thinly sliced
Butternut or acorn squash, roasted and de-seeded
1. Heat a little butter in a skillet, and cook your thinly sliced onion over medium-low heat with salt until it becomes extremely soft and begins to caramelize. Don't rush this, to properly caramelize I find onions need 30+ minutes.
2. In the meantime, spread butter and a nice sharp mustard on all sides of your bread.
3. Once the onions are ready, remove from the skillet and set aside.
4. Add a touch more butter to the same skillet, then lay your bread slices down.
5. Flip a few times, and once the bread is beginning to toast nicely, add your thinly sliced cheese.
6. As the cheese is melting, top with caramelized onions and a scoopful of squash.
7. Flip one slice onto the other and toast the whole thing in the skillet with a little more mustard. (Just put a bit down in the skillet like you would butter. This makes for a messy, messy skillet but a delightful, delightful sandwich.)
8. Remove from heat and enjoy.