Saw breadbowls at the bakery in a snowstorm; had to fill 'em, made this up as I went along:
3 large baking potatoes
2 heads broccoli
1 yellow onion
1 head garlic
4 TB butter
Salt, white pepper
Celery seed, nutmeg
4 c water
2 c milk
1 grated c ea: Cheddar & gouda
1. Put the potatoes in to bake, preferably for about an hour. Steam the broccoli crowns & leaves, removing most of the stems.
2. Slice the onion with a mandolin. Peel the garlic cloves and halve the big ones. In the bottom of your soup pot, melt the butter. Put the onions & garlic in there to soften.
3. Chop the soft steamed broccoli into smithereens (as Kay would say) with trusty ulu. Add it to the softened onions & garlic.
4. Add the milk & water, then the flavorings (spices, squirts of mustard & splashes of sherry). Taste & adjust. Be very judicious with the nutmeg & generous with the rest.
5. When the potatoes are nice & crispy, take them out of the oven. mash em up some in the skins and add innards to the soup. Then chop the skins and add those too. Thicken a little with flour or cornstarch if needed (it probably won't be).
6. Stir in the cheeses to melt.
7. NOM NOM NOM.