Sunday, February 6, 2011

Baked Potato Soup

Saw breadbowls at the bakery in a snowstorm; had to fill 'em, made this up as I went along:

3 large baking potatoes
2 heads broccoli
1 yellow onion
1 head garlic

4 TB butter
Salt, white pepper
Celery seed, nutmeg
Brown mustard
4 c water
2 c milk
Sherry

1 grated c ea: Cheddar & gouda

1. Put the potatoes in to bake, preferably for about an hour. Steam the broccoli crowns & leaves, removing most of the stems.

2. Slice the onion with a mandolin. Peel the garlic cloves and halve the big ones. In the bottom of your soup pot, melt the butter. Put the onions & garlic in there to soften.

3. Chop the soft steamed broccoli into smithereens (as Kay would say) with trusty ulu. Add it to the softened onions & garlic.

4. Add the milk & water, then the flavorings (spices, squirts of mustard & splashes of sherry). Taste & adjust. Be very judicious with the nutmeg & generous with the rest.

5. When the potatoes are nice & crispy, take them out of the oven. mash em up some in the skins and add innards to the soup. Then chop the skins and add those too. Thicken a little with flour or cornstarch if needed (it probably won't be).

6. Stir in the cheeses to melt.

7. NOM NOM NOM.

2 comments:

  1. mmmmmm, might have to add this one to this week's menu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know I tried this out and loved it! I chopped the onions and garlic (because I don't like onions unless they're small enough that I don't realize I'm eating them) and never got around to buying sherry. I do need to add more seasoning next time. The hubs enjoyed it, but I don't think he liked it as much as I did. That's ok. More leftovers for me!

    ReplyDelete