Monday, August 9, 2010

Cold Tomato-Melon Soup

OK, wowzers!

You go, Militant Carnivore.

(I used apple cider vinegar, and ate with fresh dill and goat cheese on top. I'm sooo glad I still have a few bowlsfull b/c that is some tasty semi-liquid eating!)

***Ed. 8/24/13 - This blog post was taken down at some point, to my great dismay.  Here's the recipe in full!***

This makes a bright, velvety gazpacho with intense flavor - perfect for the part of summer when tomatoes are plentiful and amazing.



Ingredients:
Olive oil
1/2 cantaloupe
10-12 tomatoes
3 TB apple cider vinegar
Salt
Fresh herbs (I like chives & dill)
Goat cheese

This makes a BIG batch, but you'll want it!

Supplies:
Largest frying pan
Tongs
Blender
Fine seive
Large Bowl

1.  Slice the cantaloupe and halve the tomatoes.  Heat some olive oil in the largest pan you have.  Then place as many cantaloupe slices and tomato halves as can fit facedown in the pan.  (In my largest pan, I end up having to do this in 2-3 batches).  Brown on one side for 3-5 minutes, until the cantaloupe gets a little brown and starts releasing a LOT of juice into the pan.  Flip and do the other side.

2.  Blend in blender (the tongs will help get all the hot pieces in there) with 1 TB vinegar until liquefied.  Place seive on bowl and dump blender contents into it.  Repeat for rest of the cantaloupe and tomatoes, reusing the same oil each time, but dumping the entire contents of the pan into the blender with the last batch.

3.  Once everything has strained into the bowl, add salt to taste (remember as this gets cold it may need more salt - you may want to retest once chilled), and apple cider vinegar to taste - I find about 3 TB total including however much you used during blending is about right.

4.  Serve chilled, garnished with chopped herbs and goat cheese.  (That crappy picture is my tupperware of work lunch from yesterday; it's much prettier before the cheese starts to sink and whatnot!)

1 comment:

  1. I got my dad to make me this soup with tomatoes from my garden this weekend. I wasn't sorry. Neither was anyone else.

    ReplyDelete